Subject: Re: bug#65356: 30.0.50; [wishlist] Support Tramp method, user name and host name completion in eshell

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:14:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> I gave it another try. There is a new user option pcomplete-remote-ignore.
>
> FWIW, `pcomplete` is a generic completion library for use when
> completing things like function/command calls where the things to be
> completely at point depend on the position of the argument and the
> command/function that is called.
>
> It was originally designed for Eshell where those functions/commands are
> actual commands in the host system, but it's also used for things like
> ERC where the commands have nothing to do with executables installed in
> your machine.

ERC should could set pcomplete-remote-ignore to t, as I have proposed
for shell buffers. Likely, even this isn't needed. The default (w/o my
patch) is to complete remote file names. This hasn't disturbed ERC until
now.

> In theory is could be used for completion in code buffers where it
> could provide specialized completion depending on the expected type of
> the argument being completed.

Hmm. Does it mean you agree with the patch, or not? My change should affect
only file name completion, any other completion should work as before.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.