Subject: Re: bug#65356: 30.0.50; [wishlist] Support Tramp method, user name and host name completion in eshell

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:12:33 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> (defun pcomplete/cd ()
>>   "Completion for `cd'."
>>   (while (pcomplete-here (completion-table-in-turn
>> 			  (pcomplete-tramp)
>> 			  (pcomplete-dirs)))))
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> AFIK this applies to `M-x shell` as well, so it doesn't seem
> quite right.

Yes. However, there is already another problem in shell-mode. My patch
completes only incomplete Tramp file names, like "/ss". Complete Tramp
file names are handled by pcomplete-dirs already. So we see in a *shell*
buffer, w/o my patch:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[albinus@gandalf ~]$ cd /ssh:host: TAB
=> all directories on that remote host
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So we must fix completion of remote file names in shell-mode anyway. This
would prevent also the modified pcomplete/cd to show any Tramp related
file name.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.