Subject: [bug#65352] Fix time-machine and network

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 11:42:48 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Sept 2023 at 11:04, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes this seems to confirm what I thought.

Hum, maybe we have miscommunicated because we were speaking on
different levels, I guess. :-)

By 'tag references, you meant (tag . "foo") right?  And that case is
not possible from the command-line and even I am not sure about the
use-case of passing (tag . "foo") to reference-available?.  Another
story.

Reconsidering your question, yes the case (tag . "foo") is currently
on the fast path and will stay on the fast path.

I have read "tag references" as the user is passing a Git tag.  Which
is currently managed the same way as short commit ID.

Hence my previous answer. :-)

> So anyway, go for it!

Cool!  I will proceed.

> Great that you’re improving performance here.

Now, we can give a look to bug#65787 [1]. ;-)

1: bug#65787: time-machine is doing too much network requests
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:41:54 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]

Cheers,
simon