Subject: [bug#65351] [PATCH v2 1/7] gnu: cgit: Make git-source a native input.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:12:55 +0100

Hi Liliana,

Sorry for the long delay! Life got in the way.

> This patch is broken and it doesn't appear to get fixed in 4/7.  If you
> want git-source to be in native-inputs, you need to use (or native-
> inputs inputs).

I'm not sure what you mean. I am able to build both cgit and cgit-pink
on my machine. The QA system also agrees with
me. https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/65351

> Most of these patches are not really atomic, depending on each other to
> make sense.  I'd instead possibly do the following:
> 3
> [1, 2, 4, 5] squashed into a single commit
> 6
> 7

I disagree. I do think these commits are atomic. Each one of these
commits fixes a single independent problem with cgit that has no
relevance to cgit-pink. Finally, the last commit adds cgit-pink. Note
that there are already many commits in guix along similar lines. So,
there is precedent.

* gnu: cgit: Make git-source a native input.
* gnu: cgit: Make bzip2, gzip and xz inputs.
* gnu: cgit: Do not return #t from custom phases.
* gnu: cgit: Use G-expressions.
* gnu: cgit: Add bash-minimal to inputs.
* gnu: cgit: Use cc-for-target.
* cgit-pink gnu: Add cgit-pink.

> In 7, you might want to use /bin/sh if the compatibility is meant for
> stuff that actually lands in the store.

/bin/sh doesn't work. I have tried. If I remember correctly, this is to
do with how the SHELL_PATH gets substituted into generated scripts.

Cheers!