Subject: Re: [External] : Re: bug#65348: INITIAL-INPUT in completing-read repeats same entry twice consecutively

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:19:52 +0300

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:20:07 +0000
> 
> > You can try starting a discussion on emacs-devel if you want.  But the
> > above-mentioned change was not done arbitrarily, and does have its
> > merit in many situations,
> 
> I don't see that it has merit in any situation.

The situations where it's useful are obvious.

> I haven't seen a single example cited where it
> has merit.  Can you point to one?

What for? so you could argue endlessly that you disagree?  We already
know that you don't like that change and think it should be reverted,
so what would be the purpose of another discussion about that?

> And I think you agreed that it's obvious that in
> some cases (such as the `C-h v' example cited in
> bug #64656) it's _clearly_ not helpful but harmful.

In some, quite extreme, case, indeed, it is not useful.  That doesn't
yet mean it is always useless.

Again, we've been through that, and I really have no reason to do it
again.  Life is too short.