Subject: Re: bug#65347: 29.1; Underscore in query replace prevents case-matching

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:52:02 -0400

Stefan Monnier [2023-08-19 10:39:02] wrote:
> When the guesswork is wrong I find it cumbersome to fix it.
> I'd like to be able to edit it right there and that the result
> is remembered for the next time the same capitalization is found.

Admittedly, another problem is that I'm usually looking at the buffer
text that's about to be changed, rather than looking at the minibuffer
showing me what the text will change to, so I usually notice only after
the fact that the change was wrong :-(

So maybe what I want is something like:

1. like we do now, highlight the text to be changed and ask y/n whether
   to make the change (I likely won't see the exact question in the
   minibuffer at that point).
2. if I say `y` but the capitalization of the change is the result of
   guesswork, stop right after making the change, highlight it, and ask
   again whether that was good, letting me edit it before continuing.

Similarly when I say `!` it should stop after every change that
encountered a not-yet-seen capitalization.

        Stefan