Subject: bug#65347: 29.1; Underscore in query replace prevents case-matching

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:20:21 -0400

>> We look at this from different angles.  As an Emacs maintainer, I
>> would like to see every place that deals with words to honor
>> find-word-boundary-function-table, instead of inventing its own ideas
>> about where a word begins and where it ends.

Yes, that could be good in any case.  It would happen to fix the example
problem, tho only in the specific case where the user has enabled
`superword-mode`.

In my experience, there are enough slightly different circumstances that
it's going to be hard to cover all cases automatically.

Personally (as a user) the functionality I'd prefer is the following:
When the matched string does not have the same capitalization as the search
pattern, I'd like Emacs to guess what should be the capitalization of
the replacement and ask me to confirm its guess.

This solution would not satisfy the "automatically" part, but it would
succeed at the "cover all cases" part, only at the small cost of an
extra RET.

        Stefan