Subject: Re: bug#65346: 30.0.50; *lisp/net/eww.el: new function 'eww-open-in-new-buffer-background'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:49:17 +0300

> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 19:39:30 +0000
> From:  Lin Sun via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> In a EWW buffer, the user can use the 'eww-open-in-new-buffer' or "M-RET" to
> open a URL in a new buffer and focus on the new buffer.
> 
> Sometimes people want to open the URLs in the background first and read them
> later, so here is the 'eww-open-in-new-buffer-background' function,
> binding to "C-<return>".
> 
> Example: using the eww to open the hack news and browse the topics,
> open some topics in background with "C-<return>", and read them later.

"Background" is a problematic word for this, since that's not what you
mean: you mean not to select the window displaying the URL.

And I don't think we need a separate command for that: how about doing
this in eww-open-in-new-buffer instead, if the user invokes it with a
prefix argument C-u?

And finally, what happens if the following condition, tested by
eww-open-in-new-buffer, is fulfilled:

      (when (or (eq eww-browse-url-new-window-is-tab t)
                (and (eq eww-browse-url-new-window-is-tab 'tab-bar)
                     tab-bar-mode))

In this case, AFAIU the URL is opened in a new tab.