Subject: [bug#65335] [PATCH 0/4] Allow mounting root on tmpfs for impersistence

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:55:52 +0200

Hi,

Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 2023-10-05 15:07, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>   Should /var/run be removed (in the same commit) from ‘directives’ in
>>   (gnu build install)?
>
> Maybe you can help a bit if you have worked on this, so that I
> understand correctly if something should be done here or not. 

The directives in (gnu build install) specify files and directories that
should be created upfront when initializing a system—meaning when
running ‘guix system init’, or when populating a VM image.  The
boot/activation code assumes that these files already exist when the
system boots.

If we’re now creating /var/run in an activation snippet, then it no
longer needs to be here.

When doing such changes, I would suggest to at least run:

  make check-system TESTS=basic

to detect obvious mistakes, and perhaps run the “installed-os” test as
well (it’s much more expensive, so run it once you’re essentially done).

HTH!

Ludo’.