Subject: [bug#65335] [PATCH 0/4] Allow mounting root on tmpfs for impersistence

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:24:34 +0200

This patch series allows the root to be mounted on tmpfs, and ensures directories that are needed are present. Once the persisting directories needed are configured (with btrfs for instance), one can mount root on tmpfs. These persisting directories should be at least /var/log (not needed, but safety requirement), /var/lib, /var/guix, but they are application-dependent (if using NetworkManager, /etc/NetworkManager; if guix offloading daemon is present, /etc/guix; the same goes for Docker...).

Nicolas Graves (4):
  file-systems: canonicalize-device-name: Ignore the "none" case.
  gnu: services: activation-script: Ensure /var/run existence.
  gnu: build: activate-current-system: Ensure directory existence.
  gnu: system: bootable-kernel-arguments: Ignore the "none" root case.

 gnu/build/activation.scm   |  1 +
 gnu/build/file-systems.scm |  8 ++++----
 gnu/services.scm           |  1 +
 gnu/system.scm             | 21 ++++++++++++---------
 4 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

base-commit: 880ada0bdb9e694573ec42200d48658b27744b9b
prerequisite-patch-id: cccdad83975cbf04d7bd618c2c1a4b4de6fa7fd2
prerequisite-patch-id: 6f28833d2efa054d55126980f87ba4d2fdd13c6d
prerequisite-patch-id: afc6cadece838372370f7093f863ce8eaae7bc55
prerequisite-patch-id: b9330c12700355319c104aa3b493eafe03cbb619
prerequisite-patch-id: 46fa9c5a48fcc5b13409049b14b6e7314a6d6956
prerequisite-patch-id: 846f8b50b8de749caaa459b874087d06e15e0a80
prerequisite-patch-id: 023101e5a315951ce9786fb8230955c97001dac9
prerequisite-patch-id: d4b0193f128d8236026e079e746ea0cf6c4c0af0
prerequisite-patch-id: d73442d6d7c88e7375e9de0a9cd655cacb7766f9
prerequisite-patch-id: d8a56dd7bc6c1c3ba3ac0f77b2402b9c6469cfb2
prerequisite-patch-id: 3bc2b2eecd799be8d8b0f96b850ef83a6306dab7
prerequisite-patch-id: 798d4a277eff03a59339af4ebe19406682f361ab
prerequisite-patch-id: 3f65e9cdab64edeacfeb5748cd4fb130839b2b30
prerequisite-patch-id: 6f8225b63a1dd1866b05bb91544e49d7c096601c
prerequisite-patch-id: ff71ec9bdf6337390a720db4535268af271e32df
prerequisite-patch-id: c6b40cc38f5bdfab229ac3d7ed4346c5d9f1b2f7
prerequisite-patch-id: 9ab6dade9e641d5e667ba6a61dbfbb3d32c943a6
prerequisite-patch-id: 4fcae29a8f6dd95716669680141da315acaf6e59
prerequisite-patch-id: 0a5a6da0061188dc9be59bc9829db53288307c58
prerequisite-patch-id: 83c4b7d9d831990e4d37ba89c584d773c872ba6b
prerequisite-patch-id: 1c8dddf99041cf399b8836e3ad6721d7bbcebb7c
prerequisite-patch-id: 773df13cc85606b205d1d914e59525b7a6820a1d
prerequisite-patch-id: 6f8974ce8c0a3a25721a41781f9b0dfd61e96cf4
prerequisite-patch-id: d219948d28923c5ccd34b63f988032df33f2f336
prerequisite-patch-id: 0bd75bb28df9ccf3405caf8217d708afc978047d
prerequisite-patch-id: 26476dd782cf8f5e427d4bd36ac85957538a0aa3
prerequisite-patch-id: b5f87c460fd984c41fbb52e7e0dc305c20c46f22
prerequisite-patch-id: 5502b9c6a64abaca6a9921f25cd324869d26aa1e
prerequisite-patch-id: a7e84bb368349566e9a6fdbe49a371fdb464bb1e
prerequisite-patch-id: a84a766ceef6bedd5da3f9512c87a2c2a11ff33f
prerequisite-patch-id: 0175b2b1cbbc15c1c775147821715bca9e3303a3
prerequisite-patch-id: 9c20b408ac8aa275ecba58383d83be5cef7647df
prerequisite-patch-id: 836749cd3bd3b86f64de637c3c2df48a3608f09f
prerequisite-patch-id: 28ea1ddbef32a1bc9e908f3f9c7466953c60f13d
prerequisite-patch-id: 52a78e387e36e6408d7147950195d552e4e41528
prerequisite-patch-id: 87fee01a70d4b8cbfca44cc0a9c9f54471a92d18
prerequisite-patch-id: 8c8cdb345e815fc3332805ca224103f185d4a568
prerequisite-patch-id: 3434c5caf1eba9e9a64c673681e5911d2c1d9232
prerequisite-patch-id: c45bf303726fb3dacee01a66c0ff75105a81164d
prerequisite-patch-id: d44a1adb0404f23522aac21fa8a7f26be7ddabdc
prerequisite-patch-id: e422fe29bbcef80260b190637faa1a4953c3f1cb
prerequisite-patch-id: 285479a1a1e46e6f0f8aba5429edfa400c81b32b
prerequisite-patch-id: 30fcff6f8c9328c71d3fca609cddde0b56973bb7
prerequisite-patch-id: 70bb47ccac3375de893e4e640ce7c59369a05a39
prerequisite-patch-id: cc3d79386ca4a93146dc195cd5732764f1ac447f
prerequisite-patch-id: 2686866ec4bf08c7faa05b17cb84d9e0c13ec12c
prerequisite-patch-id: 369b61e07e3c90151a5414b784513b9ae3d3e978
prerequisite-patch-id: 065651c3a8cee63b725d7f86c080c274b494627e
prerequisite-patch-id: 1ee71844f0c9a0112a456e5b76079239906a7fb8
prerequisite-patch-id: c7b3d9c5bff04c16576781eff50ce37f7c49131c
prerequisite-patch-id: c8b8fe8dc51fea0b8a2626cf7031f01b6000e023
prerequisite-patch-id: 182e25335d4c357001f4f8bed2b3f89b91d9cae5
prerequisite-patch-id: c0ea00d5f4c6a83642a92c9341f0288fbfe3095a
prerequisite-patch-id: 795d31cc33a24a6a57e67af31b65acd8faa8187c
prerequisite-patch-id: 358af8aa7fa71b5cb8fbe6dde29d141bb7c57f1e
prerequisite-patch-id: b9ab3ee98a9d4ca518a4d99042982d64fbce5d05
prerequisite-patch-id: 12b76e9c2751da73ed64c9489b15f74ff17568cf
prerequisite-patch-id: eb618ab7b10483d917c308a38792af98baa517e2
prerequisite-patch-id: aca7b0d7b302853e522f47700d0780a96b4a72e6
prerequisite-patch-id: c6bbe6026bfcd2c9ff6e06efc5b8424a6943d1bf
prerequisite-patch-id: 1dc9b52f102fa787539119b849a14224ef7b4fa5
prerequisite-patch-id: 5f664cb2fd995a53765c5ffc19a708ac795cc0c4
prerequisite-patch-id: 8e234d0f4d93d2aad499eec8842be3d28da98707
prerequisite-patch-id: 40b6c9f09f27833367a71ec25d77afae4d2a835e
prerequisite-patch-id: 45e65ea00ece53f3496251401acd464081f8ca7a
--
2.41.0

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves