Subject: bug#6531: patch for rst.el updated (patch format revised)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:51:00 -0400

>> Huh?  And why isn't it in Emacs's repository?
> This is really a good question.
> There also was an intense code review by StefanMo and most suggestions
> have been integrated.

Good to know.

>> If the maintainers don't push changes back to us (or better yet, use
>> Emacs's repository as the upstream),
> I remember that some time ago I followed a tedious procedure to be
> able to do this.  I remember the procedure never completed - for
> reasons I need to check out.

Hmm...

>> then we're better off not having the package in Emacs at all.
> This is of course at your option.  Simplifying the entering procedure
> would certainly help, however.

Indeed.

> Find below the procedure you asked me to complete. I completed the
> form and sent it back.  After this nothing happened any more.

Oh, this was to clear the copyright issue, so that rst.el could be
installed in Emacs.  That cleared a long time ago and indeed rst.el is
included in Emacs-23.

>> If you need write access to the repository, just ask for it (which is
>> done by registering on Savannah and requesting membership in the
>> "emacs" group).
> May be this is the next step in this whole procedure - I have no idea.

Indeed, unless you prefer to send us patches that we install ourselves.

> I suggest you explain to me what to do next, I do and if the process
> is stuck again I get back to you.

The "next" is to get write access to the repository and for that you
need to do just what you quoted: "registering on Savannah and requesting
membership in the `emacs' group".

After that's done you'll be able to checkout and commit directly.
Of course, in the mean time our rst.el and the docutils one have
diverged (not sure how much), so someone will need to merge them again.

Looks like there's been some miscommunication at some point, I hope this
clears it up finally, and I'm sorry it took so long to figure it out.

        Stefan