Subject: bug#65306: closed (Re: bug#65306: [shepherd] ntpd throws shepherd out of the loop)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 16:51:01 +0000

Your bug report

#65306: [shepherd] ntpd throws shepherd out of the loop

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65306: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65306
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65306: [shepherd] ntpd throws shepherd out of the loop
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Timotej Lazar <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 18:50:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Timotej Lazar <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> [2023-09-02 22:44:03+0200]:
>> Liliana, Timotej: could you try the Guix patch I posted at
>> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64966>?
>
> That patch works for my aarch64 board. I encounter the same issue on an
> x86_64 system without a functional RTC, but at least now I know how to
> apply a workaround. Thanks!

Right.  I’ve committed a variant of this patch (will push shortly).

Thanks for testing!

Ludo’.

Subject: [shepherd] ntpd throws shepherd out of the loop
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:18:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

I have a laptop that's a little stuck in the past… more accurately
January of 2020 thanks to what I believe to be an empty CMOS battery. 
As of recently (maybe it dates back longer, but I first experienced it
two weeks ago and just now got to debugging it a little), Shepherd gets
stuck at 100% CPU usage "early" on first boot.  I can prevent this
issue by getting the system time "close enough" to the actual time
before the NTP sync, but see the first sentence.  Not having a network
connection also works, but that's somewhat unpractical.  Also, the high
CPU usage still occurs if a sync is done later.  I have yet to
encounter the bug post hibernation, but I also wish not to.  There
doesn't appear to be anything particular interesting in the logs
either.

Cheers