Subject: Re: bug#65301: 29.1; archive-mode can not handle archive named with foreign characters

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:16:09 +0300

> From: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 22:09:50 +0900
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > This is because we run the unzip.exe program to extract the files, and
> > running subprocesses from Emacs on MS-Windows is limited to
> > command-line arguments which can be encoded in the system codepage.
> >
> > Basically, this is a duplicate of bug#65300.
> 
> I have installed not only unzip.exe but also 7z.exe.
> 7z.exe works fine on cmd terminal.
> But I can not find how to call 7z.exe on emacs with parameters encoded
> with utf-8.

You can't.  It's a basic limitation of invoking programs from Emacs on
Windows, as explained above.

In reality, this is rarely a serious limitation, because most programs
users routinely invoke from Emacs on Windows don't support UTF-8
encoded arguments anyway.  But the limitation is deep, so even if we
had more of these situations, we cannot really fix this until Windows
systems support UTF-8 better (in particular in file-related APIs).