Subject: Re: bug#65300: 29.1; fail to start process under a directory with foreign characters

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:10:52 +0300

tags 65300 wontfix
close 65300
thanks

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:09:15 +0900
> 
> 
> If 'default-directory contains characters not encodable with local
> language encoding(cp932 for Japanese Windows OS),
> #'start-process fails to start subprocess.
> 
> For example, set 'default-directory to "c:/tmp/test丄" and 'M-x shell'
> fails with the error message:
>   start-process: Spawning child process: Exec format error

This is a known limitation of starting subprocesses from Emacs on
Windows: we only support running them in directories and with
command-line arguments that can be encoded by the system codepage.
The reasons are explained in a large comment that starts around line
1570 of src/w32.c.

Sorry.