Subject: Re: bug#65299: 29.1; ZIP archived WEBP images can not be displayed correctly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:05:42 +0300

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:02:43 +0900
> 
> 
> Opening a entry for a WEBP image in a ZIP archive,
> the subfile buffer is multibyte and the image is not displayed or
> displayed collapsed.

You need to say

  C-x RET c no-conversion RET RET

to open such files from a zip archive.

Determining the right coding system when opening files from ZIP
archives is a tricky issue, and frequently needs forcing a certain
encoding manually.  I don't know how to do better in general, what
with all the possible sources of the files and their encodings.  A Zip
archive can include files from Unix systems or from Windows, and we
unzip by running the 'unzip' program.  So the usual defaults for
guessing the encoding don't really work.