Subject: Re: bug#65283: 29.1; package-vc-install fails to install package "ement" because some dependencies installed by it are omitted from load-path

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 20:11:28 +0000

Adam Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/14/23 03:13, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> Adam Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Wanting to test whether package-vc-install in Emacs 29.1 is now a
>>> suitable replacement for Quelpa for installing my Ement.el package from
>>> git, I started an instance of Emacs 29.1 in a clean configuration and
>>> evaluated:

When you say clean configuration, do you mean that you invoked emacs
with -Q, or also --init-directory=[some fresh directory]?  I noticed
that you appear to be using Guix, so did you perhaps use a Guix
container shell?

I ask, because it might be that just using -Q is insufficient in this
case, in case you already have a regular Emacs configuration, as it
(falsely) assumes the package has already been installed, but it doesn't
add it to the load path.

Because in my case (GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-08-15),

     lemacs -Q --init-directory=/tmp

appears to have all the right directories in `load-path':

Value:
("/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/ement"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/taxy-magit-section-0.12.2"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/magit-section-3.3.0"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/dash-2.19.1"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/taxy-0.10.1"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/plz-0.7"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/persist-0.5"
 "/tmp/package-isolate-gaZsWf/elpa/svg-lib-0.2.7"
 ...