Subject: bug#65267: closed (Re: bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken, bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65267: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65267
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken, bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 21:36:59 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:15:02 +0200
> 
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:58:00 +0300
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> Running under GDB is significantly more complex (esp. for a casual user)
> >> than adding a CLI option
> >
> > No, it doesn't.  Starting a program from GDB is very similar to
> > starting a program from the shell prompt.  GDB was intentionally
> > written to work like a shell in this regard, complete with searching
> > PATH, supporting redirection, etc.
> 
> Yes, after one has installed GDB, learnt how to use it and set it up to
> be useful with Emacs, the mere act of *starting* it is relatively easy,
> indeed...

I'm told that nowadays installing GDB boils down to running a single
command of the package manager.

> > I'm still not sure I understand: do you want us to document that if
> > debug-ignored-errors are modified in the init files, they sometimes
> > might end up with an unexpected value?
> 
> Yes.  (I think you mentioned something about saying that it's only safe
> to do so from after-init-hook or some such in a previous message.)
> 
> > If so, I don't think this kind of documentation will be useful.
> 
> Certainly more useful than silently breaking user's setup?  (Which I
> still don't think should be done at all, silent or not, but doing so
> tacitly seems more on the user-hostile side.)
> 
> > In the (IMO improbable) case that someone will want to remove errors
> > from the default value, as opposed to simply set it to the value they
> > want, I prefer to receive a bug report and explain that removing is
> > not supported with --debug-init, rather than have something like that
> > in the documentation, where it will almost certainly be very hard to
> > discover.
> 
> IMHO it should be (at least) in the doc string of debug-ignored-errors.

I added something to the doc string.  Let's see if this will be
discovered by someone.

And with that, I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken
From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:54:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

sh(1) reproduction recipe:

--8<--
initdir=$(mktemp -d)

echo "(add-to-list 'debug-ignored-errors 'my-error)" >"$initdir"/init.el
emacs --debug-init --init-dir="$initdir" \
      --eval '(message "%S" debug-ignored-errors)'

rm -rf "$initdir"
--8<--

In the emacs thus started, the value of `debug-ignored-errors' is
"(my-error startup--witness)" instead of `my-error' added to
the default ignored error symbol list.

(It works as expected *without* --debug-init.)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.17.8) of 2023-08-13 built on tipi
Repository revision: 6d58007bb05b92d5bafb91631df8fef8d99e6722
                     ^
[that's just 08bf8533bb1d with some unrelated stuff on top, sorry about that]
Repository branch: use
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --without-x-toolkit'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: 
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-extra pp cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile debug backtrace
find-func thingatpt help-fns radix-tree help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 55621 13813) (symbols 48 6384 0) (strings 32 18969 1832)
 (string-bytes 1 511550) (vectors 16 12190)
 (vector-slots 8 168978 11702) (floats 8 45 36) (intervals 56 405 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Štěpán