Subject: bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken, bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:15:02 +0200

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:58:00 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Running under GDB is significantly more complex (esp. for a casual user)
>> than adding a CLI option
>
> No, it doesn't.  Starting a program from GDB is very similar to
> starting a program from the shell prompt.  GDB was intentionally
> written to work like a shell in this regard, complete with searching
> PATH, supporting redirection, etc.

Yes, after one has installed GDB, learnt how to use it and set it up to
be useful with Emacs, the mere act of *starting* it is relatively easy,
indeed...

> I'm still not sure I understand: do you want us to document that if
> debug-ignored-errors are modified in the init files, they sometimes
> might end up with an unexpected value?

Yes.  (I think you mentioned something about saying that it's only safe
to do so from after-init-hook or some such in a previous message.)

> If so, I don't think this kind of documentation will be useful.

Certainly more useful than silently breaking user's setup?  (Which I
still don't think should be done at all, silent or not, but doing so
tacitly seems more on the user-hostile side.)

> In the (IMO improbable) case that someone will want to remove errors
> from the default value, as opposed to simply set it to the value they
> want, I prefer to receive a bug report and explain that removing is
> not supported with --debug-init, rather than have something like that
> in the documentation, where it will almost certainly be very hard to
> discover.

IMHO it should be (at least) in the doc string of debug-ignored-errors.

-- 
Štěpán