Subject: Re: bug#65267: 30.0.50; modifying debug-ignored-errors during startup with --debug-init is broken

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:48:38 +0200

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:26:15 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Noam Postavsky
>>  <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:34:58 +0200
>> 
>> So, yes, I agree that end-of-file (which indeed isn't unlikely to occur
>> during loading) now ending up in the debugger is an improvement.
>> 
>> Checking git history, I also see that end-of-file has been in
>> debug-ignored-errors since forever, but I still can't rid myself of
>> doubts regarding its usefulness there.  Would you have an explanation
>> for that, too?  Other than it not fitting with the others (IMHO), its
>> absence there would likely save us all this (bug#64163 and the ensuing
>> mess).  I find any of the other members of debug-ignored-errors being
>> triggered during startup much less likely.  (And, OTOH, why would I want
>> to ignore end-of-file during interactive use with d-o-e set?)
>
> It is not ignored, it just doesn't enter the debugger.

That's what I meant, sorry for not being clearer.

Unlike the other members of debug-ignored-errors, end-of-file doesn't
strike me as an error likely to cause annoyance rather than provide
useful backtrace data when running with debug-on-error set, so I don't
understand why it's there by default.  I'll remove it here and see how
that goes.

-- 
Štěpán