Subject: bug#65241: 30.0.50; Cannot clone NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 16:25:05 -0700

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> `git show 2699d230e3b592ae42506d7b5c969a7ac6a4593c` suggests this is
> part of `coffee-mode`, and indeed:
>
>     git -c 'Transfer.fsckObjects=true' clone https://github.com/defunkt/coffee-mode
>
> gives me the same warning (tho it's a warning rather than an error).
>
> Just use
>
>     git -c 'Transfer.fsckObjects=false' clone ...
>
> to workaround the problem.  I think the problem is fundamentally in
> Git's camp: the format that `fsckObjects` enforces is incompatible with
> the data it used to generate, and since rewriting history is a big
> problem, it's not something that can be fixed.

I don't think users will realize that, though.  They'll blame us for
having a broken repository.

So I'd personally very much prefer rewriting the git history to living
with the ugly workaround until the end of days.  I guess that was the
position of the Git developers as well (or they would have fixed it).