Subject: bug#65241: 30.0.50; Cannot clone NonGNU ELPA

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:03:39 +0200

Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Manuel,

>> Try
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> # git config --global transfer.fsckObjects false
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Thanks, changing transfer.fsckObjects makes it work. Is it really a
> problem with my Git configuration, though?

No. IIRC, there are commits in ELPA which have zero-padded file
modes. It doesn't seem to be trivial to fix it in the git repo, and so
we need this change. This was discussed somewhere in the mailing lists,
but I have no reference.

I don't know git sufficiently to know, whether this setting could be
restricted just to the elpa repos. But at least it should be added to
the respective README and README.org of the repositories.

Best regards, Michael.