Subject: Re: [bug#65229] [PATCH 1/2] pull, time-machine: Add '-q' to ignore channel files.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 15:43:42 +0200

Re,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 at 14:59, Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Well, I would keep the previous example because the behaviour appears to
> me more prone-error.  I mean, by default, there is no channels.scm file
> under ~/.config/guix/ or /etc/guix, therefore an explanation of the
> behaviour without any option at all appears to me worth.  Moreover,
> since there is no channels.scm file by default, i.e., the default is
> %default-channels, it appears to me weird to explain the specific
> behaviour (without any option and reaching new revision) using an option
> turning off the channels.scm file.

Somehow, I would keep something like [1]:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Similarly as @command{guix pull}, the absence of any options means that
either the user's @file{~/.config/guix/channels.scm} file, or either the
system-wide @file{/etc/guix/channels.scm} file, or either the built-in
default channels specified in the @code{%default-channels} will be
honored, in that order.  The command

 @example
 guix time-machine -- build hello
 @end example

will thus build the package @code{hello} as defined by the previous
@dfn{channels} file (@pxref{Channels}).  In general, it builds a newer
revision of Guix than you have installed.  Time travel works in both
directions!
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

1: https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

Cheers,
simon