Subject: bug#6521: 23.2; Elisp Manual Ommission

From: "Tim Cross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 08:36:50 +1000

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > [ Can't remember responding yet. ]
 > >> Could you send it along, so we could see what it looks like (to
 > >> better assess whether it means we have a serious problem, or if
 > >> it's just bad luck).
 > > The code which failed to compile was BBDB as bundled with Debian
 > > testing. Do you want me to send the error message that was
 > > generated? (note that the code still compiles with emacs23).
 > 
 > AFAIK, this problem has been fixed a little while back.

Yes, the problem with compilation seems to have been fixed. However, there is
still a problem. Now it is a documentation issue rather than a compilation one.

The manual no longer has a section about the deprecated use of the old style
backquote. The warning message generated by the byte compiler still refers the
user to the backquote section of the elisp manual for more information, but
there is no reference to old style backquotes in that section. This makes it
very difficult for anyone who is not familiar with the change in style to
understand what use to be different and what needs to be changed in the code to
get rid of the warning. Given that this change in style happened many years
ago, there is likely a number of users who are unfamiliar with what the old
style was and they would probably benefit from some explanation/guidance. 

I recommend that either a footnote be added to the backquote section of the
elisp reference manual or a new section be added about the old style backquotes
and what needs to be changed to make it compliant with modern usage. The
compiler warning message should probably also be updated to either direct users
to the footnote or new section. 

regards,

Tim

-- 
Tim Cross
[email-masked]

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what
they understand and those who do not understand what they manage.
-- 
Tim Cross
[email-masked]

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they 
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.