Subject: Re: bug#65206: 29.1; [windows][patch] build-deps-zips.py is broken and hard to maintain

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:53:55 -0500

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
> >
> > I hope I did cover information sources well enough, but to put a fine
> > point on it: I watch Emacs devel, bug reports, IRC, reddit, ..., for
> > information leading to updates to this script. Developers and others
> > using Emacs on Windows are the main "information sources", at least
> > speaking from developing that patch :)
>
> Thanks.  What I still don't think I understand is how do you make sure
> you have a full list of first-order dependencies?  I understand that
> you mostly build on the "last good" list from previous release, but
> since the list grows from time to time, what is the procedure for
> finding the new dependencies, adding them to the list, and making sure
> they all are there?
>
> I'm asking because this is exactly where the procedure broke down when
> we added WebP image support in Emacs 29.

The above quote from myself I retained is my best/only answer:

I update the script as issues are reported or when I somehow otherwise
learn that changes are needed.  I have no real process for this, and
nothing in the tooling is helping me with it, so far.