Subject: [bug#65200] Update gmp to 6.3.0

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:55:14 +0200

Am Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 12:22:44PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> It would be interesting to try whether we can bootstrap directly from
> 6.3.0 now, that is, whether the comment
>   ;; We keep this one around to bootstrap GCC, to work around a compilation
>   ;; issue on ARM.  See
>   ;; <https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-bugs/2015-December/003848.html>.
> is still valid; it might let us drop the two gmp patches altogether.

At least not in a straightforward way; already on x86_64, it fails to
replace all occurrences of gmp-6.0 in commencement.scm by gmp.

Am Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 10:59:20AM -0400 schrieb Greg Hogan:
> Can this be combined with other C/C++ updates such as glibc, boost,
> cmake, etc.? Perhaps in a C/C++ team branch? I would be interested in
> helping with this endeavor, and have some patches which I could submit
> to the mailing list shortly.

It should at least be combined with a pending MPFR update:
   https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/mpfr/2023-08/msg00008.html

I have no opinion on the other packages. I expect the gmp/mpfr update
to be rather smooth, but to just require a lot of rebuilds. This may
not be the case for a glibc update.

Andreas