Subject: bug#65196: closed (Re: bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 08:37:01 +0000

Your bug report

#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65196: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65196
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "Loris Bennett" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:36:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Loris Bennett" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Andrew G Cohen <[email-masked]>,
>   <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:21:42 +0200
> 
> I see that the change is in Emacs 29, so this issue can be closed.

Done, thanks.

Subject: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
From: Loris Bennett <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:48:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
for.

In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:

  Opening server fu_exchange
  Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
  Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages

The configuration in init.el is as follows:

  (setq user-mail-address "[email-masked]")

  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        (quote
         ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
                  (nnir-search-engine imap)
                  (remove-prefix "nnimap")
                  (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
                  (nnimap-record-commands t)
                  (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
                  (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))

The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).

Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-14, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug gnus-ml disp-table nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort
gnus-cite mail-extr cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7 gnutls nnfolder
cl-extra help-mode network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib chemacs iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 222225 16769)
 (symbols 48 16178 6)
 (strings 32 51312 3558)
 (string-bytes 1 1619808)
 (vectors 16 26937)
 (vector-slots 8 523214 20757)
 (floats 8 255 68)
 (intervals 56 524 0)
 (buffers 992 20))