Subject: bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"

From: Loris Bennett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:48:53 +0200

After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
for.

In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:

  Opening server fu_exchange
  Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
  Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages

The configuration in init.el is as follows:

  (setq user-mail-address "[email-masked]")

  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        (quote
         ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
                  (nnir-search-engine imap)
                  (remove-prefix "nnimap")
                  (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
                  (nnimap-record-commands t)
                  (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
                  (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))

The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).

Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-14, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug gnus-ml disp-table nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort
gnus-cite mail-extr cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7 gnutls nnfolder
cl-extra help-mode network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib chemacs iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 222225 16769)
 (symbols 48 16178 6)
 (strings 32 51312 3558)
 (string-bytes 1 1619808)
 (vectors 16 26937)
 (vector-slots 8 523214 20757)
 (floats 8 255 68)
 (intervals 56 524 0)
 (buffers 992 20))