Subject: bug#65188: 29.1; WEBP image not displayed

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 04:16:08 -0500

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 3:04 AM Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> approach looking specifically for libwebp-7.  Here I can see two webp
> related DLLs (but I'm fairly sure we only include one of them).  The
>
> libwebpdemux-2.dll C:\msys2\mingw64\bin\libwebpdemux-2.dll
> libwebp-7.dll H:\packaging-test\emacs-29.1_1\bin\libwebp-7.dll
>
> Problem, yes?   Packaging problem only?

User jbe on Libera.Chat #emacs IRC kindly confirmed both the original
issue reproduces using the emacs-29.1_1 binaries, and that adding the
"debux" DLL mentioned above resolves the issue.

So, I have created a new deps archive and am working on a new release
set.  Once I have created and verified a new set of binaries, if there
are not concerns or countermanding instructions, I'll go ahead and
push emacs-29.1_2 to GNU FTP.

1. New deps zip with more webp DLLs:
https://corwin.bru.st/emacs-29/emacs-29-2023-08-10-deps.zip

2. In the same folder are dependency sources (src-deps) and sig files:
https://corwin.bru.st/emacs-29/

awrhygty (and anyone),

You can test that the new set will fix the problem for you by
unpacking the deps zip file (link #1, above) and unpacking it on atop
the bin folder from your emacs-29.1_1 install.  It doesn't matter
whether you say "Yes" to allow replacing files or not - the only
differences should be some new WEBP related DLLs.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting the problem.

Eli,

I have expressly added WEBP into the list of packages needed, in
admin/nt/build-deps-zip.py.   It is worth noting that this script is
really painful because the upstream MSYS package source paths keep
changing; I had to make several unrelated (cert and sqllite3 source
archive URL) changes to run it, just now.   I think lib-webp7.dll was
included at all only because something else we list as a dep was
depending on it, but I'm not quite sure what just yet.

I realize others don't find this script as important as I do, but I've
really struggled to do what it does manually constantly, much less
create simpler scripting.  I regret not sending in a proper patch for
discussion well in advance of the release.

Is this the right place, or should I open my own bug report to discuss
my version of build-deps-zips and whether to merge my changes that
make it work for building Emacs 29 and Enacs 30?  (Not attaching
anything quite yet, but I did put the current version of the script
into the folder I linked above.)