Subject: bug#65178: Shepherd hangs (was: Getting Guix to shutdown my laptop properly with Sway and no DE)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 22:49:35 +0200

Hi!

Hilton Chain <[email-masked]> scribes:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 23:25:59 +0800,
> Hilton Chain wrote:
>>
>> Today I encountered the home reconfiguration issue.  The behavior is
>> similar to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54919>.
>
> And today Shepherd hung after starting a service [1], the service
> itself started successfully (process started, logs available):

I’m assuming this is shepherd 0.10.2, right?

> $ sudo herd enable cloudflare-tunnel && sudo herd start cloudflare-tunnel
> Enabled service cloudflare-tunnel.
>
> [1]: <https://codeberg.org/hako/Rosenthal/src/commit/c7dc95c2932d7362673c28cdc2f52e6bb8357c18/rosenthal/services/child-error.scm#L151>

Is any of the services you’re using doing “non-standard things” such as
using constructors/destructors other than those provided by shepherd
(‘make-forkexec-constructor’ et al.)?

Is it reproducible, and do you think you could come up with a reduce
test case (for example by removing services from the config until you
reach the minimum)?

Thanks,
Ludo’.