Subject: bug#65144: 29.1.50; epg-wait-for-status hangs when encrypting files

From: Abdul-Lateef Haji-Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:50:49 +0100

Might be related to bug#17337.

I have an issue where saving gpg files hangs `emacs -Q` indefinitely.
After some digging, I found out that it hangs in the while loop in
`epg-wait-for-status`. The process buffer shows the output

[GNUPG:] KEY_CONSIDERED XXX 0

and nothing else is added and the process seems to not terminate.
Decryption files in emacs works as expected as well as encrypting them when using gpg directly.

My GPG version is

> gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.4.3
libgcrypt 1.10.2
Copyright (C) 2023 g10 Code GmbH
License GNU GPL-3.0-or-later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Hash: SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

In GNU Emacs 29.1.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.5.0, NS
 appkit-2299.60 Version 13.4.1 (c) (Build 22F770820d)) of 2023-07-31
 built on HW-R9XXWKPJ4D
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.4.1

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.90/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.90 --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --with-native-compilation --without-compress-install
 --without-dbus --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-Os -w -pipe
 -mmacosx-version-min=13
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
 -DFD_SETSIZE=10000 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/opt/zlib/include
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/jpeg/include -I/opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/include
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/include -isystem/opt/homebrew/include
 -F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/opt/zlib/lib -L/opt/homebrew/opt/jpeg/lib
 -L/opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/lib -L/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/lib
 -L/opt/homebrew/lib -F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks
 -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX13.sdk
 -L/opt/homebrew/opt/libgccjit/lib''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-dispatcher epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93627 7846)
 (symbols 48 7592 0)
 (strings 32 25992 3086)
 (string-bytes 1 828749)
 (vectors 16 21803)
 (vector-slots 8 370350 14650)
 (floats 8 38 47)
 (intervals 56 431 0)
 (buffers 984 13))
________________________________

Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world, delivering innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering, design and the physical, social and life sciences. This email is generated from the Heriot-Watt University Group, which includes:

  1.  Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under number SC000278
  2.  Heriot- Watt Services Limited (Oriam), Scotland's national performance centre for sport. Heriot-Watt Services Limited is a private limited company registered is Scotland with registered number SC271030 and registered office at Research & Enterprise Services Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.

The contents (including any attachments) are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system.