Subject: bug#65138: 29.1; Problems with Emojis C-x 8 e e

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 14:44:37 +0300

> From: Robert Thorpe <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 00:44:57 +0100
> 
> 
> The new Emoji system started with 'C-x 8 e e' doesn't work in a sensible
> way if you don't have fonts installed for every Emoji.
> 
> For example, let's say you pick the category "e emotions".  If none of
> your fontsets have the relevant Emoji's then the result is
> confusing. The minibuffer becomes two lines high - but it is blank and
> displays nothing at all.  There's no message to tell you that you don't
> have the fonts installed and that's the problem.  I only found that out
> by trial-and-error.  If you press any key at all then you're given
> an error.

We should probably show some message in this case, like "No fonts
available" or something.  Perhaps Lars or Jonas (CC'ed) would have an
idea.