Subject: 29.1; Problems with Emojis C-x 8 e e

From: Robert Thorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 00:44:57 +0100

The new Emoji system started with 'C-x 8 e e' doesn't work in a sensible
way if you don't have fonts installed for every Emoji.

For example, let's say you pick the category "e emotions".  If none of
your fontsets have the relevant Emoji's then the result is
confusing. The minibuffer becomes two lines high - but it is blank and
displays nothing at all.  There's no message to tell you that you don't
have the fonts installed and that's the problem.  I only found that out
by trial-and-error.  If you press any key at all then you're given
an error.

> Unbound suffix '1': (Use 'C-g' to abort, '?' for help)

Aborting with C-g works.  However, '?' does not supply help.  It gives
the error 'Error in post-command-hook (transient--post-command): (error
"Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)")'.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
cairo version 1.17.8)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  global-tab-line-mode: t
  tab-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
network-stream nsm mailalias smtpmail sort mail-extr rmailsum rmailout
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check shr-color color qp rmailmm rmail sh-script smie treesit
executable emoji-labels emoji multisession sqlite transient edmacro
kmacro diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic cl-extra help-mode ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs files-x shell subr-x pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring dired-aux autorevert filenotify dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs misearch multi-isearch noutline outline icons mule-util
display-line-numbers bookmark text-property-search pp find-func server
completion avoid tab-line cl-loaddefs cl-lib misc rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 407944 63927)
 (symbols 48 27181 163)
 (strings 32 121896 18689)
 (string-bytes 1 3206930)
 (vectors 16 79485)
 (vector-slots 8 1852642 129244)
 (floats 8 405 282)
 (intervals 56 5484 1428)
 (buffers 984 27))