Subject: bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 15:57:37 +0300

> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 16:55:53 +0800
> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Open emacs -nw (or on MS-DOS, just emacs.exe); then, type:
> 
>  C-h n C-x h
> 
> observe that the text representing icons within the left margin is also
> highlighted.

I see this, both on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows in the -nw session,
but I don't think this is a bug.

> Now, move the mouse over a link on a line that contains such an
> icon: the mouse face will be displayed one column to the left of its
> proper location.

This I cannot reproduce on MS-Windows.  (I don't have a GNU/Linux
system with a mouse-capable TTY, so I cannot try there.)  Or maybe I
don't understand what you mean by "link on a line that contains such
an icon"?  By "links" do you mean symbols quoted 'like this'?

Strangely, not all of the links are highlighted with mouse-face, only
some.  And I cannot understand what makes different instances of a
link behave differently.