Subject: bug#65116: closed (Re: bug#65116: 29.1; query-replace-read-args fails reading second arg in detached minibuf)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65116: 29.1; query-replace-read-args fails reading second arg in detached minibuf

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65116: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65116
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65116: 29.1; query-replace-read-args fails reading second arg in detached minibuf
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:03:49 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Jim.

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 08:33:03 -0600, Jim Rees wrote:
> Yes that also fixes it.

Thanks for the testing!

I'm closing the bug with this post, now.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 29.1; query-replace-read-args fails reading second arg in detached minibuf
From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 11:18:34 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With detached minibuf, query-replace doesn't work because
query-replace-read-args doesn't shift focus to minibuf for the replacement
string. Possibly related to Bug 64152. This worked in 28.1.

To reproduce, create init.el with these two lines:

(add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist '(minibuffer . nil))
(add-to-list 'minibuffer-frame-alist '(minibuffer . only))

Now run emacs:
emacs-29.1 -Q --load init.el

Run query-replace, usually bound to M-%. Focus will shift to the minibuf.
Enter a string and hit <return>. The minibuf will now prompt for a
replacement string, but focus will now be in the scratch buffer instead of
the minibuf, and it will be impossible to enter the replacement string
without re-focusing.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2023-01-15 built on motul
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-silent-rules --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
 --libexecdir=/usr/local/lib --localstatedir=/var
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d --with-cairo
 --without-imagemagick --without-sound --without-gif
 --without-libsystemd --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-selinux CFLAGS=-Os'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP THREADS
TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/rees/lib/lisp/cmuscheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/cmuscheme
/home/rees/lib/lisp/tempo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/tempo
/home/rees/lib/lisp/rng-nxml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/nxml/rng-nxml
/home/rees/lib/lisp/syntax hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date
subr-x tabify imenu man ansi-color pp seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv zoom-frm frame-cmds cl-macs gv frame-fns avoid server ps-ccrypt
html-mode dtrt-indent advice easy-mmode whitespace plain-mode edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib fit-frame iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 74590 6483)
 (symbols 48 8146 1)
 (strings 32 22376 2052)
 (string-bytes 1 771015)
 (vectors 16 15645)
 (vector-slots 8 222601 10111)
 (floats 8 64 30)
 (intervals 56 254 244)
 (buffers 992 13))