Subject: bug#65116: 29.1; query-replace-read-args fails reading second arg in detached minibuf

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:44:11 +0000

Hello, Jim.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 12:57:42 -0600, Jim Rees wrote:
> Well that's a relief. I do have an unusual setup with detached minibuf and
> focus follows mouse. There has been a lot of churn in replace.el and frame.c
> lately and I keep hoping the bug will go away on its own. I don't really
> understand all the focus changes in the code but I do see why they are
> necessary.

> I have a workaround, I have bound this to a key and use it to re-focus to
> the minibuf so I can enter the 'to' text:

> (select-frame-set-input-focus (window-frame (minibuffer-window)))

> But that requires manual intervention so for now I'm sticking with 28.1.

I've been playing with the setup for an hour or two.  It seems that
performing some action in the minibuffer (say, M-x auto-revert-mode, but
anything will do) causes M-% to work properly.  But then, the moment the
mouse leaves the active frame or window (I'm not sure which), M-% no
longer works properly, until the next minibuffer action.

I know this isn't much help to you, but it should be a help to us,
tracking down what's going wrong.

> (Focus follows mouse was common years ago, but with the relentless quest to
> make X work just like MS Windows it has become less popular)

Yes.  I've never liked it, because it involves moving the hand
repeatedly between mouse and keyboard.  But I can understand it being
quite popular, even if some time in the past.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).