Subject: Re: bug#65105: Reusing the same string as 'display on consecutive characters evades display

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 20:48:49 +0300

On 06/08/2023 07:54, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 01:46:49 +0300
>> Cc:[email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 05/08/2023 23:49, JD Smith wrote:
>>> Aha, thanks.  It does make sense from an optimization standpoint to
>>> “gang” properties in this manner.  Are you aware of any approach that
>>> allow re-using a string for ‘display, but permits consecutive intervals
>>> to remain distinct?
>> Overlays? But they have certain performance problems when their number
>> grows.
> Not in Emacs 29 and later, right?

Hopefully not -- I haven't benchmarked any particular problem cases 
recently.

But I'm guessing the package JD is working on aims to support previous 
versions anyway.