Subject: bug#65056: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/ cannot be accessed through Tor

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 02:25:51 +0200

Hi,

(Cc: guix-sysadmin.)

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 2023-08-04 18:57, Altadil via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:

[...]

>> The result is an error message saying: "The connection has timed out".
>> It looks like a general block of Tor rather than a block of specific
>> IPs, since attempting with different Tor circuits does not change the
>
> The Guix project does not block Tor.  If the datacentre has decided to
> block Tor like it blocked most of Russia, there is little we can do
> but ask them to reconsider.

I think it’s worse than this.  I noticed that ci.guix.gnu.org (same
machine) would occasionally time out on my side, without Tor, starting
from this week (I was on vacation before, so I don’t know exactly when
it started).  From a browser, I get this “DoS attack” HTML page:

The HTML doesn’t contain clues as to where it originates from.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ wget -qO- http://ci.guix.gnu.org | tail
        </style>
        <title>Attack Detected</title>
    </head>
    <body><div class="message-container">
    <div class="logo"></div>
    <h1>Blocked because of DoS Attack</h1>
    <p>Your computer has been blocked because a DoS attack originating from your system was detected. For more information, contact the system administrator.</p>
</div></body>
</html>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Some firewall-ish network equipment must be sitting right before our
machine.  It’s a problem because fetching narinfos and nars is likely to
count as a “DoS attack”.

Could it be some change at the MDC?

Thanks,
Ludo’.