Subject: bug#65049: closed (Re: bug#65049: 29.1; vc-do-command fails in windows emacs 29.1)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2024 21:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#65049: 29.1; vc-do-command fails in windows emacs 29.1

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
65049: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65049
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#65049: 29.1; vc-do-command fails in windows emacs 29.1
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Sebastián Monía<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2024 00:32:18 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 02/10/2024 21:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Sebastián Monía<[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii<[email-masked]>,  Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>,
>>    [email-masked],[email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2024 13:45:43 -0400
>>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Was looking at existing bugs that need reproduction work in Windows.
>>
>> Maxim Kim<[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Eli Zaretskii<[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> Thanks, this finally allowed me to nail the sucker.  The fix is a bit
>>>> more complex than I thought, because this bug has two parts: one of
>>>> them in "C-x v D", the other in vc-git-checkin.  The patch is below;
>>>> please give it a try with all your real-life use cases.
>>> I have tried it for several repos I have -- all good!
>>>
>>> Thank you, Eli!
>> Based on the comment above, shouldn't this patch be merged?
> It was already installed, see
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65049#110.
> 
> We should probably close the bug.  Dmitry, any objections?

Sure. Let me just close it with this message.

Subject: 29.1; vc-do-command fails in windows emacs 29.1
From: Maxim Kim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:50:25 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In a git repository with at least single change:

0. ./runemacs.exe -Q
1. navigate to a dirty git repo
2. C-x v D
3. Add commit message
4. Press C-x v v

As a result I have following error in *Messages*:

    vc-do-command: Failed (status 1): git --no-pager apply --cached
    ../AppData/Local/Temp/git-patchTK9GGr

and in *vc*

    error: patch failed: notes.org:1
    error: notes.org: patch does not apply

If I do C-x v v from within C-x v d RET or directly from changed file --
it works fine, changes are commiteed.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-03 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22621
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22621.1992)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  windmove-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-echo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230723.1411/transient hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.17/jsonrpc hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/jsonrpc
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-lint hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-jump hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-ensure hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-diminish hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-delight hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-core hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230426.2324/use-package-bind-key hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/bind-key
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-1.15/eglot hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/progmodes/eglot
c:/Users/maxim.kim/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.14.0/eldoc hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sh-script smie executable oc-basic
bibtex project embark-org org-element org-persist xdg org-id org-refile
avl-tree generator habamax-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs misearch multi-isearch
marginalia-autoloads noutline outline markdown-mode-autoloads let-alist
finder find-func loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode mm-archive cus-edit cus-start cus-load gnutls url-cache
url-http url-auth url-gw display-line-numbers finder-inf windmove
compile consult-imenu network-stream nsm epa-file erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit
habamax-erc erc-hl-nicks color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-goodies
erc iso8601 erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs
embark-consult embark ffap thingatpt c-ts-mode c-ts-common treesit
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view vc bug-reference face-remap magit-extras magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr
warnings icons rx shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc server ansi-color
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec
cursor-sensor crm dash hl-line mule-util orderless consult bookmark
text-property-search pp dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs time-date
wildcharm-light-theme vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher habamax time
rainbow-delimiters corfu-popupinfo corfu-echo corfu marginalia vertico
compat use-package-ensure habamax-windows edmacro kmacro cl-extra
help-mode use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core
pixel-scroll cua-base repeat savehist saveplace delsel elec-pair recentf
tree-widget wid-edit winner ring elfeed-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
emms-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads orderless-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
tempel-autoloads info compat-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
wildcharm-theme rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1970441 140565)
 (symbols 48 38478 4)
 (strings 32 327848 23134)
 (string-bytes 1 10987056)
 (vectors 16 104264)
 (vector-slots 8 2294926 86450)
 (floats 8 466 392)
 (intervals 56 208319 1817)
 (buffers 984 49))