Subject: Re: bug#65039: [PATCH] Add bookmark handler for shell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 15:59:08 +0100

Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, Michael,

Hi,

> With tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies bound to t *at the time of multi-hop
> connection*, default-directory retains the fully-qualified multi-hop
> file name and bookmarks work fine. I tested both shell and file
> bookmarks. Though files are not in scope for this patch, I ensured
> they worked, too.
>
> When nil, default-directory is abbreviated, as you pointed out. I
> can't see a way to recover the multi-hop nature of the buffer based on
> just default-directory. I read through the tramp code and I can't find
> a way to do that.

Yes, you're right :-(

> If it is possible to do at bookmarking time, please tell me how. If
> this is not possible, we will highlight in the docs that
> tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies must be t if users expect multi-hop
> bookmarks to be effective.

I'll check, whether I can improve this in Tramp.

> -Stephane

Best regards, Michael.