Subject: Re: bug#65039: [PATCH] Add bookmark handler for shell-mode

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 12:53:55 -0500

On Thu, Feb 13, 2025 at 11:34 AM Ship Mints <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2025 at 11:23 AM Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> A further remark (don't know where to do it in your code): If you
>> bookmark a remote file name, I recommend to keep multi-hop file names
>> (let-bind tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies to t). Otherwise, a remote file name
>> like "/ssh:host|sudo:host:/" would be saved in your bookmark-default-file
>> as "/sudo:host:/", which doesn't work in the next Emacs session.
>>
>
> I'll experiment with multi-hop now and ensure they are correctly stored
> and restored.
>

Hi, Michael,

With tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies bound to t *at the time of multi-hop
connection*, default-directory retains the fully-qualified multi-hop file
name and bookmarks work fine. I tested both shell and file bookmarks.
Though files are not in scope for this patch, I ensured they worked, too.

When nil, default-directory is abbreviated, as you pointed out. I can't see
a way to recover the multi-hop nature of the buffer based on just
default-directory. I read through the tramp code and I can't find a way to
do that.

If it is possible to do at bookmarking time, please tell me how. If this is
not possible, we will highlight in the docs that tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies
must be t if users expect multi-hop bookmarks to be effective.

-Stephane