Subject: Re: bug#65039: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add bookmark handler for M-x shell

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 04:15:57 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:06:59 +0300
>>
>> > From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> > Date: Fri,  4 Aug 2023 13:32:37 +0300
>> >
>> >> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
>> >> Cc: [email-masked]
>> >> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 12:17:43 +0300
>> >>
>> >> > I'll let users of bookmarks comment, but in any case, please also
>> >> > check that the section "Bookmarks" in the Emacs user manual doesn't
>> >> > need some update due to this feature.  (You marked the NEWS entry with
>> >> > "---", which might mean you already checked that, but I'm not sure.)
>> >>
>> >> I thought a change was not necessary.  Though I am happy to do it, if
>> >> needed.
>> >
>> > It sounds like the notion of "jumping" to a bookmark has evolved, and
>> > nowadays jumping to a bookmark might do much more than just jump to a
>> > buffer position.  Perhaps that node in the manual should say something
>> > about that, and show a couple of examples?
>>
>> The revised patch includes a possible update to the manual.  Are those
>> examples sufficient?
>
> I guess so, thanks.

Just to let you know, I had an issue with applying the patch, and had to
manually edit it:

  1 git … am --3way -- ~/wip/emacs/0001-Add-bookmark-handler-for-M-x-shell.patch
Line longer than 78 characters in commit message
Commit aborted; please see the file CONTRIBUTE

Also, when the bug number is known, it is good if you can include it
somewhere in the commit message.

I was going to review and install this patch, but I noticed that there
was some further discussion in a subthread regarding some Tramp stuff?
Should that be resolved first, or is this ready as-is?