Subject: Re: bug#65039: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add bookmark handler for M-x shell

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 07:43:20 +0300

> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri,  4 Aug 2023 10:01:12 -0700
>
> On 8/4/2023 2:20 AM, Protesilaos Stavrou wrote:
>> The code is adapted from Eshell, which has the capability you describe.
>> I do not have the means to test an SSH connection.  Though I tried the
>> 'sudo' TRAMP method and the bookmarking correctly logs me in as root
>> when I do 'bookmark-jump'.  This works even if I kill the shell buffer
>> and all TRAMP buffers.
>
> For what it's worth, when I want to test Tramp support (especially in 
> something like Eshell or Shell), I just connect to localhost via 
> "/ssh:localhost:~" or similar. So long as your system is running sshd, 
> that should work fine.

Thank you!  This looks promising.  I am trying to make it work, but it
denies the connection.  Maybe you can share with me off-list the
relevant sshd settings?  I tried to disable public key checking and
enable passwords.  To no avail.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com