Subject: bug#65039: [PATCH] Add bookmark handler for shell-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 09:21:27 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Hi, Michael,

Hi,

>> If it is possible to do at bookmarking time, please tell me how. If
>> this is not possible, we will highlight in the docs that
>> tramp-show-ad-hoc-proxies must be t if users expect multi-hop
>> bookmarks to be effective.
>
> I'll check, whether I can improve this in Tramp.

Finally, it is much simpler than expected. The Tramp manual tells us TheTruth™,
(info "(tramp) Frequently Asked Questions")

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   • Why saved multi-hop file names do not work in a new Emacs session?

     When saving ad-hoc multi-hop TRAMP file names (*note Ad-hoc
     multi-hops::) via bookmarks, recent files, filecache, bbdb, or
     another package, use the full ad-hoc file name including all hops,
     like ‘/ssh:bird@bastion|ssh:news.my.domain:/opt/news/etc’.

     Alternatively, when saving abbreviated multi-hop file names
     ‘/ssh:[email-masked]:/opt/news/etc’, the user option
     ‘tramp-save-ad-hoc-proxies’ must be set non-‘nil’ value.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If you document to set tramp-save-ad-hoc-proxies to non-nil it should
work out-of-the-box.

>> -Stephane

Best regards, Michael.