Subject: Re: bug#65030: 30.0.50; Check keyword args of make-process

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:52:36 +0200

>>>>> On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:49:59 +0200, Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> said:

    Mattias> 6 aug. 2023 kl. 06.58 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
    >> Any specific comments to the proposed patch?  Or do you think it is
    >> good to go?

    Mattias> Good to go as far as I'm concerned. It will be genuinely useful, and I
    Mattias> see no serious problems with the implementation.

    Mattias> It can be extended but that would not prevent it from being committed
    Mattias> as-is. For example, something that detects omitted values in the
    Mattias> middle, not just the end, of the argument list. (The feasibility of
    Mattias> this depends on the likelihood of argument values being keywords
    Mattias> themselves.)

I donʼt think any of the `make-process' keywords accept keywords as
values, but missing values tends to cause catastrophic failure, so I
donʼt think itʼs that common a mistake.

    Mattias> The main objection is that `make-process`, due to its design, is often
    Mattias> called indirectly using `apply` which would not trigger the
    Mattias> application of this compiler macro, so perhaps we should improve the
    Mattias> error handling of Fmake_process instead.

As long as that improvement results in warnings for mistakes such as
misspelled keywords, rather than errors.

Robert
--