Subject: bug#6503: 24.0.50; emacs manual does not mention debbugs.gnu.org

From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:09:32 +0200

The manual explains how to search for already known bugs in
etc/Problems or in the FAQ.  Since there is now a online bug tracker
for emacs it should be mentioned in the manual.

In section "Reporting Bugs" the third paragraph states:

>    Before reporting a bug, it is a good idea to see if it is already
> known.  You can find the list of known problems in the file
> `etc/PROBLEMS' in the Emacs distribution; type `C-h C-p' to read it.
> Some additional user-level problems can be found in *note Bugs and
> problems: (efaq)Bugs and problems.  Looking up your problem in these
> two documents might provide you with a solution or a work-around, or
> give you additional information about related issues.

I propose the following change after the third sentence:

>    Before reporting a bug, it is a good idea to see if it is already
> known.  You can find the list of known problems in the file
> `etc/PROBLEMS' in the Emacs distribution; type `C-h C-p' to read it.
> Some additional user-level problems can be found in *note Bugs and
> problems: (efaq)Bugs and problems.  
If you don't find your bug in these two documents you may also search
the emacs bugtracker which is online accessible under
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs.  Don't feel
intimidated by the sheer number of bugs: There is a search form at the
end of that page.  You may also search for bugs via
http://debbugs.gnu.org/index.html#search.  Looking up your problem in
these sources might provide you with a solution or a work-around, or
give you additional information about related issues.

Sorry, no patch.

Thanks for emacs.  
Regards, Gregor

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-19 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20100619-2)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
a c s SPC a n d SPC f l y s p e l l . SPC SPC <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <left> s SPC f 
o r SPC y o u r <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<down> <up> R e g a r d s , SPC g r e g o r <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> M-x m e s s a g e - s e <tab> <tab> - <tab> a 
<tab> C-g <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> M-x m e s s a <tab> 
s <tab> e <tab> - a <tab> <return> y C-g <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> C-s ü <prior> M-x <up> <return> y n y e s <return> 
M-x <up> <up> <return>

Recent messages:
Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? (y or n) 
Quit
Auto-saving...
cua-scroll-down: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Mark saved where search started
Address `grfz@localhost' might be bogus.  Continue? (y or n) 
Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? (y or n) 
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/vc-git hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/vc/vc-git
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(qp hippie-exp goto-addr thingatpt shadow message sendmail rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug skeleton
sh-script mail-extr ps-mule ps-print ps-def lpr jka-compr debug
multi-isearch t-mouse help-mode appt view mule-util cal-move face-remap
tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp
tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util shell comint ring password-cache
tramp-compat trampver executable newcomment pp flyspell ispell org-w3m
org-wl org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-inlinetask
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-id org-gnus org-docview org-crypt org-bibtex org-bbdb
org-table server diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-protocol org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline remember windmove org-install
emms-volume emms-volume-amixer format-spec emms-tag-editor emms-i18n
emms-mark emms-history emms-bookmarks emms-last-played emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-lastfm emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse
timezone url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr mailcap emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-score emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-playing-time emms-lyrics time-date emms-streams emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-setup emms emms-compat
muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common cus-edit muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols info
muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode filladapt post derived
hl-line sr-speedbar cl cl-19 speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc
wdired dired-x dired-aux dired ido edmacro kmacro ffap ff-paths
regexp-opt uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload paren savehist
recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu avoid time cua-base cus-start
cus-load package reporter muse-autoloads emms-auto emacs-goodies-el
emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting font-render-setting gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)