Subject: bug#6503: closed (Re: bug#6503: 24.0.50; emacs manual does not mention debbugs.gnu.org)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:33:01 +0000

Your bug report

#6503: 24.0.50; emacs manual does not mention debbugs.gnu.org

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6503: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6503
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6503: 24.0.50; emacs manual does not mention debbugs.gnu.org
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:34:47 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I finally got round to updating the Bugs section of the manual.

Subject: 24.0.50; emacs manual does not mention debbugs.gnu.org
From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:09:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The manual explains how to search for already known bugs in
etc/Problems or in the FAQ.  Since there is now a online bug tracker
for emacs it should be mentioned in the manual.

In section "Reporting Bugs" the third paragraph states:

>    Before reporting a bug, it is a good idea to see if it is already
> known.  You can find the list of known problems in the file
> `etc/PROBLEMS' in the Emacs distribution; type `C-h C-p' to read it.
> Some additional user-level problems can be found in *note Bugs and
> problems: (efaq)Bugs and problems.  Looking up your problem in these
> two documents might provide you with a solution or a work-around, or
> give you additional information about related issues.

I propose the following change after the third sentence:

>    Before reporting a bug, it is a good idea to see if it is already
> known.  You can find the list of known problems in the file
> `etc/PROBLEMS' in the Emacs distribution; type `C-h C-p' to read it.
> Some additional user-level problems can be found in *note Bugs and
> problems: (efaq)Bugs and problems.  
If you don't find your bug in these two documents you may also search
the emacs bugtracker which is online accessible under
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs.  Don't feel
intimidated by the sheer number of bugs: There is a search form at the
end of that page.  You may also search for bugs via
http://debbugs.gnu.org/index.html#search.  Looking up your problem in
these sources might provide you with a solution or a work-around, or
give you additional information about related issues.

Sorry, no patch.

Thanks for emacs.  
Regards, Gregor

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-19 on elegiac, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20100619-2)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--without-compress-info' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
a c s SPC a n d SPC f l y s p e l l . SPC SPC <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <left> s SPC f 
o r SPC y o u r <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<down> <up> R e g a r d s , SPC g r e g o r <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> M-x m e s s a g e - s e <tab> <tab> - <tab> a 
<tab> C-g <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> 
<C-up> <C-up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> M-x m e s s a <tab> 
s <tab> e <tab> - a <tab> <return> y C-g <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> C-s ü <prior> M-x <up> <return> y n y e s <return> 
M-x <up> <up> <return>

Recent messages:
Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? (y or n) 
Quit
Auto-saving...
cua-scroll-down: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Mark saved where search started
Address `grfz@localhost' might be bogus.  Continue? (y or n) 
Convert non-ASCII letters to hexadecimal? (y or n) 
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/site-lisp/magit hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/vc-git hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/vc/vc-git
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(qp hippie-exp goto-addr thingatpt shadow message sendmail rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug skeleton
sh-script mail-extr ps-mule ps-print ps-def lpr jka-compr debug
multi-isearch t-mouse help-mode appt view mule-util cal-move face-remap
tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp
tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util shell comint ring password-cache
tramp-compat trampver executable newcomment pp flyspell ispell org-w3m
org-wl org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-inlinetask
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-id org-gnus org-docview org-crypt org-bibtex org-bbdb
org-table server diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-protocol org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline remember windmove org-install
emms-volume emms-volume-amixer format-spec emms-tag-editor emms-i18n
emms-mark emms-history emms-bookmarks emms-last-played emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-lastfm emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse
timezone url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr mailcap emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-score emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-playing-time emms-lyrics time-date emms-streams emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-setup emms emms-compat
muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common cus-edit muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols info
muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode filladapt post derived
hl-line sr-speedbar cl cl-19 speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc
wdired dired-x dired-aux dired ido edmacro kmacro ffap ff-paths
regexp-opt uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload paren savehist
recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu avoid time cua-base cus-start
cus-load package reporter muse-autoloads emms-auto emacs-goodies-el
emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting font-render-setting gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)