Subject: bug#65027: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document .elpaignore behavior in the Emacs Lisp manual

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:22:18 -0500

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 8:56 PM Jim Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> In another subthread for this bug, we'd discussed making a *new* manual
> that discusses ELPA and/or creating packages for Emacs in general. If we
> want to create such a manual, I think that's the place my patch should
> go. However, I'm not sure what the status is on that; I have time to
> help out with it, but not enough time to write a whole manual myself.
>
> I CCed some of the people discussing this into this subthread too.
>

I'm (still) interested in working on this.  I haven't had another
offline discussion on this since I last replied in.

Key points I observed from that thread were (1) preference for
Packaging (not ELPA) as central topic, (2) expectation that we clearly
define rules for where to put things, especially WRT to moving things
already within some existing manual.

My thoughts are in the direction of working on a "mission statement"
and outline, as next steps.  I hope having an outline will help make
it possible to combine efforts from several contributors, there
probably are not many people with time to sit down and write a whole
manual :)

BTW, just in case Someone™ dies have time for this (and would find
this easies to work on if left more greenfield), it won't hurt my
feelings to have a "straw-dog" to discuss from, rather than starting
from an outline and ground-rules, as I'm suggesting/assuming.