Subject: Re: bug#65027: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document .elpaignore behavior in the Emacs Lisp manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 09:43:56 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 21:58:43 -0400
> 
>   > Maybe it would make sense to put all the documentation in the Emacs Lisp 
>   > manual,
> 
> That has a drawback: it would make the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
> substantially bigger.  Copies would be less convenient and more
> expensive.

I don't think there's a real danger here.  The necessary additions to
what is already in the ELisp manual are small.

The reason the ELisp manual touches on these issues is because it
describes package.el, which is a much more general facility, not
limited to ELPA.  The ELPA-specific stuff should not be described
there, only mentioned with a reference to the ELPA README.