Subject: Re: bug#65027: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document .elpaignore behavior in the Emacs Lisp manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 21:58:43 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Yeah, something more general that I've noticed is that as a package 
  > author, the documentation for how to make a package for GNU ELPA is 
  > split between the GNU ELPA README and the Emacs Lisp manual.

It could be an improvement to merge all that documentation into one
text and rewrite it for coherence and clarity.

  > Maybe it would make sense to put all the documentation in the Emacs Lisp 
  > manual,

That has a drawback: it would make the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
substantially bigger.  Copies would be less convenient and more
expensive.

I think there is no need for this material to be in the Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual.  So I suggest making a separate short manual about
adding a package to GNU ELPA.  The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual can
direct people to it.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)