Subject: bug#65027: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Document .elpaignore behavior in the Emacs Lisp manual

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 15:02:12 -0700

On 8/3/2023 2:21 PM, Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the 
Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
>> Maybe it would make sense to put all the documentation in the Emacs Lisp
>> manual, and then the GNU ELPA README can be the home for documentation about
>> how to work with the GNU ELPA repository specifically (mainly as an
>> administrator).
> 
> FWIW, that's how it started.  It's just that some of the conventions
> originally used only in (Non)GNU ELPA have now made their way into
> `package.el`.

As a general guideline for documentation, I'm thinking that anything a 
package author puts in their own repository would get documented in the 
Emacs Lisp manual, whereas anything that goes in the (Non)GNU ELPA 
repository (e.g. in the elpa-packages file) goes in the ELPA README. 
That makes intuitive sense to me as a package author at least: then the 
Emacs Lisp manual would have everything I need to *prepare* my package 
for eventual inclusion in ELPA.